Andrea Erskin knew music would always be in her life when she started picking out and singing harmony on her own at 10 years old. Her passion for music grew and she began piano lessons, did musical theatre, sang solos and played piano at church. Andrea also has very musical family that has their own family song composed by Andrea’s father who also has a music degree.
During college, Andrea performed as a soloist in various opera workshops, The Messiah, the university choir and at church. She also had the opportunity to perform several times with the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra in Tennessee as a choir member and in a small ensemble. She continued to take private piano and voice lessons during her entire college career, really expanding her musical knowledge that she uses in teaching today. Andrea has a Bachelor of Music degree in voice from Carson-Newman University and began teaching voice lessons before she graduated and knew this was the next step for her.
After college, Andrea was invited to be a soprano in a Los Angeles based choral group called the Musica Sacra Singers. She also became one of the worship leaders at her church which did rock-band style music and also became the handbell choir director. She also taught music classes at a local preschool and choir to elementary aged kids while she continued to teach private lessons.
Andrea loves helping musicians get ready for auditions and performances, whether it is a school talent show, karaoke night or a college music audition, Andrea has great tips and tools to get you performance ready and have fun at the same time.
Provide quality, personalized voice and piano instruction to students of all ages and all levels of experience
- Teaching: have taught private piano and voice lessons for ten years to students ages 2- over 60. Classroom experience with preschool aged children all the way up to 8th grade, class sizes ranging from 12-30.
- Specialties: Audition prep for school talent shows, musicals, plays, performing arts schools, college and university auditions, professional/music industry auditions. Ability to work with special needs students and very young students (age 2 and up). I also specialize in worship leading.
- Results: I helped several students get accepted to a performing arts high school, vocal programs at the university level and receive vocal scholarships. I have helped many students audition and get picked for roles in plays and musicals.
- Performance Experience:
- April 2017 Worship Leader for church retreat (keyboard and vocals)
- 2011-2012 Preschool Choir Director (175 kids) at Calvary Christian School Santa Ana
- 2009-2012 Piano/Keyboard/Synth/Vocals on several worship bands at Calvary Church of Santa Ana (used Aviom in ear monitors and wedge monitors)
- 2009-2011-Handbell Conductor at Calvary Church Of Santa Ana
- 2010-2011- Soprano in the Musica Sacra Singers (Simi-professional choir in Los Angeles area)
- 2008 Senior Recital including works by Mozart, Faure, Barber
- 2007-2008 Concert Choir, Womens Chorus, substitute conductor
- 2008 Soloist, Faure Requiem Carson Newman
- 2008 Opera Workshop, Carson Newman
- 2008 Opera Recital, Bluefield College
- 2007 Soloist, The Messiah, Bluefield College
- 2007-2008 Variations Ensemble, Bluefield College
- 2002 Back up singer on children’s album, Times Table Toons
- Ability to tailor lesson plans to student’s needs or requests
- Ability to teach pop, top 40, rock, jazz, musical theater, classical, opera, and worship styles
- Can teach playing by ear, chord charts
- Classroom management- work well in one on one situation or in a classroom full of students
- Extensive knowledge of Bastien, Alfred, and Faber Piano Adventure piano music
Sessions Music Studio
Piano and Voice Instructor |Houston, TX | 2017
- Taught private piano and voice lessons in studio and in-home (drove to homes)
- Taught about 20 lessons a week within 6 weeks of starting teaching there
Rice University- The Shepherd School of Music
Receptionist/Admissions Assistant |Houston, TX | September 2016-July 2018
- Assisting students, staff, faculty and prospective students through email, phone calls and in person
- Ensure and maintain confidentiality of all communications and documentation.
- Assist with preparations for live auditions to The Shepherd School including contacting prospective students, data entry, physical set up and last minute duties to make sure things run smoothly
Andrea Erskin Music
Business Owner | Orange, CA| 2009 – 2014
- Taught private and small group piano and voice lessons to students ages 2- 60+
- Managed an active calendar of appointments; tracked business expenses; processed billing and took payments; took care of bookkeeping/taxes for business
- Communicated with clients over the phone and email to answer questions
- Marketing via social media (Facebook, Yelp, Google etc…) to obtain new clients.
Orange County Department of Education
Choir Teacher | Costa Mesa, CA| 2013-2014
- I taught choir classes of 10-30 kids including special needs children. I worked with administrators and parents to ensure student’s success in class
- Administrative duties pertaining to running the classroom
- Responsible for two performances during the school year with over 150 students
Calvary Christian Preschool
Music and Computer Teacher | Santa Ana, CA| 2011-2012
- I taught general music class and a basic computer class to preschool aged children. I had to make and turn in lesson plans to the administration, kept paperwork of all classroom incidents and was in charge of several musical performances during the year as well as assisting other teachers in the school. I was responsible for several performances during the year including a Christmas musical, with choreography and spring concert with all 100+ kids.
voice and piano lessons
- 2010-2012 Independent contractor (piano and voice) for California Music Studios, Encinitas, CA – (In-home and my studio)
- 2009-2010 Independent contractor (piano and voice) for Dexter Music, Newport Beach, CA – (In-home)
Carson-Newman University- Young Artist Program
- 2007-2008 Voice teacher to high school students while still working on my BM
Carson- Newman University, Jefferson City, TN
Bachelor of Music in Voice, December 2008
including 3 credit ECE class- School Music K-6
2011 Completed 6 ECE credits for a total of 9 Early Childhood Education credits:
Rancho Santiago Community College District, Orange County, CA
3 credit class- Child, Family and Community
Saddleback College , Mission Viejo, CA
3 credit Class – principle and Practice of your children